Sunday, 27 January 2013

Book Review: Captive in the Dark by C.J. Roberts





Title: Captive in the Dark and Seduced in the Dark
Author: C.J. Roberts
Series: #1 - #2
Pages: 262 - 416
Genre: Adult Fiction/Erotica/Romance
Release Date: August 29th 2011 - August 30th 2012





Caleb is a man with a singular interest in revenge. Kidnapped as a young boy and sold into slavery by a power-hungry mobster, he has thought of nothing but vengeance. For twelve years he has immersed himself in the world of pleasure slaves searching for the one man he holds ultimately responsible. Finally, the architect of his suffering has emerged with a new identity, but not a new nature. If Caleb is to get close enough to strike, he must become the very thing he abhors and kidnap a beautiful girl to train her to be all that he once was.

Eighteen-year-old Olivia Ruiz has just woken up in a strange place. Blindfolded and bound, there is only a calm male voice to welcome her. His name is Caleb, though he demands to be called Master. Olivia is young, beautiful, naïve and willful to a fault. She has a dark sensuality that cannot be hidden or denied, though she tries to accomplish both. Although she is frightened by the strong, sadistic, and arrogant man who holds her prisoner, what keeps Olivia awake in the dark is her unwelcome attraction to him.

WARNING: This book contains very disturbing situations, dubious consent, strong language, and graphic violence.

Okay, first I’m going to warn everybody that this book is seriously not for the faint hearted! It is a very intense read and also very frightening. I’m going to review both the books at once as they need to go together!

Imagine one day you’re walking down the street and smile at an attractive stranger. Now as a person who smiles a lot I tend to do this without any intention behind it. So imagine what would happen when this stranger kidnaps you and leaves you in a sort of dungeon? Already terrifying enough right? Well wait until you find out the story behind it, it is even more devastating.

Olivia is a virgin who has never had any sort of intimate relationship with a man. She isn’t close with her mother, a woman who insists on calling her a whore on a daily bases, purely because of her own jealousy. However, Olivia doesn’t even dress nicely or wear makeup simply to please her and keep her happy.

Olivia is captured by Caleb, a man who tells her that she is to be sold into sex slavery. She suffers from a little bit of Stockholm syndrome, which helps you to understand the way she was feeling. Olivia is so helpless and has to rely on Caleb to basically survive, so she eventually starts to have some feelings for him. I have to say I was so glad there was a second book because this leaves you on such a cliff hanger. Putting aside the distressing situation I was so drawn to finish these books and find out Olivia’s fate.

The journey that Olivia and Caleb go through will not be for everyone. At times I was wondering why I was continuing to read it, but as I said I was completely drawn to finishing. It was very different from the average stories that I have read and I was really captivated by both the books.

When I think back to chapter one in the second book it makes my toes curl in disgust, but after finishing them both I understand that it just seems like it had to be there.

I loved the internal struggle that Caleb went through. Questioning all of his actions and the reasons behind them.

C.J. Roberts is an amazing, amazing writer. I could really picture myself in Olivia’s shoes, which literally had me feeling sick to my stomach at times. It holds some very adult content and is very descriptive about the sex slave industry.

These books are definitely not for an unforgiving person. Maybe it’s because I’m the type of person not to hold a grudge, but I really loved the story. There were many times I felt my stomach drop with that sinking feeling and ended up in tears just imagining all this happening to somebody.

If you are after a completely different story line than you’re used too, give this one a shot. I’ll just warn you again though, be ready to read about things that you couldn’t even possibly have imagined. It’s one of my favourites so if you think you can handle it, give it a go!

    

1 comment:

  1. I loved this book too, but I understand people who thinks that they wouldn't be able to read it - guess you need to be a little bit crazy to like it.;)
    Great review!

    Glass @ Way Too Hot Books

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment below...